Testimonials Portfolio Pricing
About Jack’s Wedding Photography
See my portfolio of wedding photographs here.
One of my great pleasures in life is quietly watching people interacting and connecting with each other. I consider this a gift which makes me a wedding documentarian by temperament.
Typically with one camera in my hands and a second over my shoulder, I love being a quiet observor at weddings, watching people in the typical flurry of activity at this special, lifetime event.
The delicate art of photographing wedding requires many skills, like knowing how and when to balance two different techniques: 1) silent, unobtrusive observation, and 2) gently orchestrating key photographs like couples' portraits, and family groupings.
You, the couple, should be focused on each other and family and friends, not on what a photographer wants you to do. Some couples ask for guidance, some like none. Another skill that comes with both experience and being comfortable with people is deciding when and how much to orchestrate photographs, and when to let events unfold by themselves for candid photographs.
Orchestrating pictures is done with your consent and understanding. I consult with you before the wedding to learn what you'd like, and explain what I can offer. People's tastes and needs vary widely. For instance, I photographed one lovely, bohemian wedding on Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County, CA, without making a single arranged group photo, per their request. Instead, I simply made photos of the wedding as it unfolded. For another couple, with a large extended family visiting from around the country, we made special arrangements for a full hour of group photographs they knew would never be recreated.
I'm happy to talk with you to learn your individual needs and preferences, whether you end up choosing me for your wedding or not. Even with over 20 years experience, I'm not the right photographer for every wedding. Usually, we'll both know if we're a fit after talking or meeting in person. Regardless, I've been told many times by couples that just my asking questions about your wedding day, especially early in the planning stages, can be of great help to you. Email me (click here) or call anytime, 415.488.4200.
Thank you so much for doing such a great job at our wedding. We really appreciate your patience and good spirit from start to finish. We know it must have been so tiring but you made it look so easy. All our friends and family have nothing but good things to say about the pictures. Every time we look at our wedding album, it brings back tons of fond memories of our special day. Thanks again and we wish you all the best!"
- Lydia & Cary, 2006
Thank you so much for the great job you did! The pictures are great--especially the ones taken from the roof, on the ladder, on the wall in the park, etc.--all the ones we never would have taken if you hadn't scoped out the sights beforehand. It really made the difference--most "wedding photographers" wouldn't have gone to the trouble and would have simply taken the boilerplate shots--we really appreciate the extra effort. If you ever need a reference or a recommendation we're here for you!"
- Kevin & Ellen, NYC
We did get the package, and ripped it open immediately to look at the book. WE LOVE IT! I shared it with my Mom who, after crying happy tears, said she would like to chat with you about making another album similar to this one. And we all cracked up when we saw you chose to include in the album the photo of my sister trying to figure out my bustle...Without context, that photo can be pretty darn funny! We can't thank you enough for capturing such thoughtful, poignent images from our wedding."
- Jenn & Larry, December 2006
Thanks for doing such a wonderful job on the photographs! Tom and I absolutely love them-we've gone through them a hundred times and still can't get over them. I feel like the memory of my wedding is perfectly preserved with these. I don't know how we can thank you enough for being such a talented guy! All the best!"
Love, Maria & Tom Lauricella
" We love the photos. You definitely captured the spirit of the evening. I kept them in my car all afternoon on Wed. Every time I had a break or stopped at a red light I pulled out the albums. Thanks for sorting through them all and putting them into such a great format for reviewing. I also wanted to thank you for your calm and friendly manner during our celebration. There were so many little details to address that night, your style was a perfect blend. So many people commented on how wonderful you were..."
- Ellen & Paul
"The photos are tremendous…in fact there are so many that we are looking at them like a deer in the headlights and we not quite know what to do next. Slowly but surely we are identifying favorites and things we want blown up, copied, so on and so forth. I do not doubt it may take us a while to come to final decisions on our pictures. We are in your debt."
- Bernie & Debbie
"The pictures you took for us at our wedding were beautiful and well done. We have now looked at them several times over and have shared them with friends and family who all agree that you did a great job. My bridesmaid, Sue, wants to apologize for following you around like a puppy bugging you to make her your assistant; my father appreciates how you gave my nephew, Alex, lessons on photography; my husband, Peter, thanks you for the dollar you contributed to the cause of ending the foot beating; and my sister, Cathy, LOVES the picture of the kids you took outside the cottage... "
- Lilly & Pete
The photos look absolutely great. It took us several hours to go through them. I can't believe we have so many pictures! But we survived and even have an album to take home with us tomorrow. Thanks again fro a superb job. We especially love the photos from early that morning and also the outdoor shots. They are amazing. Okay, I will stop. The black & whites are awesome. See, I can't stop."
- Mona & Steve
"Great photos Jack. I love the way you capture different emotional spaces and have your subjects so engaged.
It is very cool to look at especially the large group picture and see almost every face smiling and full of energy.
And the pictures of us are wonderful; great back drop, contrast, etc. You really captured a great range of feelings.
Outstanding job!! Thanks so much."
- Phil Kline, April 2010
"Jack, I just spent the last hour forwarding this (photograph) to everyone who couldn't attend the wedding but can't remember if I replied to you to tell you what a wonderful and joy-filled photo that is and that it perfectly defines why we wanted you to photograph our wedding!!"
Thanks, Emily Vassos, Oct 2007
"Jack, I got your packages (of photographs). Looking through the album already, I gotta say, I love it. Simply love it. Can’t wait to go through all the others. Holy cow, there are a lot of pics! Thanks for everything. Jack, I can’t comment enough on how great it was to have you as our photographer. It was a personal wedding through and through so it was important for us to surround ourselves with people we trusted. These pictures bring back lots of fond memories of that day, and now we have those moments captured forever. Obviously I’ll be your marketing voice down here in the event someone needs a photographer and I’ll be happy to share with anyone our experience of working with you."
- Phillip & Monica, 2007
" Jack captured the essence of our wedding through a delicate sense of people and his deep connection to place. He was able to photograph the soul of our day in the most real, subtle, and intimate way. When we look at the masterpieces he created, my husband and I are sent right back to the moments of the most profound day of our lives. Jack's disarming nature put everyone on the other side of the lens at ease. This very dynamic yielded carefully crafted excellence that we can pass down for many generations to come. I recommend Jack with great passion."
Love, Ahri and Jay, 2004
"Jack was a wonderful wedding photographer and very easy to work with. We loved his natural style and approach to taking photos (to just blend in with everyone else and not make you pose for hours). He has a great eye for unusual and unique shots and a special talent for bringing people to life in photos."
- Helen & David, 2003
"If you are thinking about hiring Jack to shoot your wedding, don't - Just hire him! You won't regret it. Jack photographed our wedding down in Monterey and his work exceeded our wildest expectations. We can go on for pages about why we think he is the ideal wedding photographer, but to keep within space limits, we'll focus on just three:
1. Jack has an incredible eye. If you hire Jack, you will not get just an endless combination of people staring at the camera. You will end up with hundreds of shots capturing every last beautiful detail of your perfect day. Many of which you will never have expected. The ring waiting in a slice of afternoon sunlight. The seabirds that suddenly take to the air behind you as you make your vows. The two of you laughing over a glass of champagne. Cut him loose. Trust his judgment. You'll be amazed.
2. Jack will do whatever it takes to get the shot. From the first moment you talk to him, you notice immediately how much Jack loves what he does. That translates to him doing some pretty crazy things to get your pictures just "right": i.e., arriving hours beforehand to scout out ideal locations, lying square in the middle of the dance floor so he can capture the revealers partying away, balancing on a balcony 100 feet above the Pacific Ocean so the angle is just right for every bridesmaid...
3. Jack is someone you can count on. On the day of your wedding, hundreds of things can go awry. If something does, don't be surprised if Jack steps up to the plate first to help you out. We know this from personal experience. Having his steadying influence there at the right moment is worth more than anything else he'll do for you that day.
Picking a photographer is a huge decision, and one that is very hard to be comfortable with until after the prints finally come in. We hope that our brief comments can help you with that decision. However, if you would like to know more details about our experiences with Jack, please feel free to drop us a line at email@example.com. Best wishes, and congratulations."
Kim & Sunny - January 9, 2004
My fee of $4275.00 includes everything, detailed below. Most of all, you'll receive the benefit of my skills, experience and aesthetics, the result of over 20 years’ experience documenting weddings quietly, energetically, calmly, unobtrusively—and beautifully.
- CONSULTATIONS months before and again on those last few busy days before your wedding. I want to learn your specific needs and preferences, and I can be of great help to you during our first consultation—even if you don't decide I'm right for your wedding.
- UP TO 12 HOURS PHOTOGRAPHY TIME on your wedding day, from morning-into-night. Time is a factor, but I don’t charge by the hour. I make myself this available so you get used to having me around. The more you relax with me, your wedding photographer, the better my images will be. I'm happy to be there before your first guest arrives, and stay until the last dance.
- DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY offers more advantages than disadvantages over film, which it has now almost entirely replaced in the industry. For one, you have every image in both color AND black & white. I’m happy to discuss the digital vs. film issue with you, or answer questions or concerns you may have.
- 4”X6” PROOFPRINTS - From the 800-1200 photographs I typically make at weddings, I then edit and provide (2) sets of 4”X6” proofprints of approximately my two hundred (200) favorites. Two of each print (400 total) means you get one set of 200 for yourselves and another set of 200 4x6 proofprints to immediately, conveniently give to family and friends.
- 4X6 PROOFPRINTS ALBUM – I arrange your 200 proofprints in chronological order in a hardcover bound album, for your immediate enjoyment & permanent display.
- YOU GET THE “NEGATIVES” – Another advantage of digital technology is you get all the full-size, high-resolution digital files—the modern, digital equivalent of film negatives. There need be no additional charges for reprints and albums; if you're digitally savvy, you can print or reprint to your heart’s content, on your own. Of course I offer custom printmaking and a variety of customized album services for those (many) couples too busy or disinclined to take on this work themselves.
I offer a 10% discount ($427.50 off) for Early Bookings made 9 months or more in advance of your wedding day, or $3847.50.
Regular Bookings ($4275.00) are confirmed with an Advance of 1/3 the total fee, or $1425.00.
Early Bookings ($3847.50) are confirmed with 1/3 the total fee, or $1,282.50.
All in all, I’m not the least expensive photographer you’ll find, I’m far from the most expensive. I'm experienced, relaxed, but also energetic. I'm committed to delivering images you’ll cherish so you'll refer me to your friends. If you like my on-line portfolio and my natural approach to photographing people and their emotions on wedding day, let's discuss your wedding. I'm happy to share all I’ve learned from observing and photographing weddings for over two decades.
I'm based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and available to travel anywhere. Telephone: 415.668.5225. Email me.
back to top